Top Heavy Turnout Blankets – Warmth for Winter’s Worst
Updated December 8, 2022
Heavy turnout blankets are the warmest of the warm, and usually the toughest of the tough because when winter is at its worst, you want to know your horse is covered.
When Should Your Horse Wear a Heavy Blanket?
Heavyweight turnout blankets pack an impressive 300– 400 grams of fill and are designed for the dead of winter. If your horse is clipped, he should wear a heavy when temperatures are in the 20s. If he’s not clipped, this layer is appropriate for weather down into the teens. If your winter weather dips below that, think about adding a neck rug or hood, and take a peek at our blanketing guide for more tips.
While we’re on the subject of bundling up, let’s talk about over-blanketing. Remember, your horse can’t shed a layer after he runs around in the sun. Instead, his body heat gets trapped, causing him to overheat and sweat. So, try not to project your feelings about the bone-chilling weather onto your horse, and don’t assume that thicker layers equal more love. Alternatively, stick to the temperature guide and the advice of your barn manager, trainer, or veterinarian. Your horse will thank you!
Our Top Picks for Heavy Turnout Blankets
Best Value Heavy Turnout Blankets
- SmartPak Deluxe Turnout Blanket with Earth Friendly Fabric – This blanket has all the features and dependability with the added bonus of being better for the environment! Its uncompromising quality and construction include breathable waterproofing to keep your horse warm, dry, and protected, silky nylon lining that's smooth against his coat, comfortable fleece padding at the withers, generous shoulder gussets for freedom of movement, and a roomy tail flap. The tough 1200D ripstop exterior is made of RePET®, a fabric created from recycled plastic, and each blanket saves approximately 315 water bottles from going into a landfill.
- WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Genero 1200D High Neck Turnout Blanket - This warm turnout blanket, available only at SmartPak, has everything you need to keep your horse protected at a price that won’t break the bank. This blanket features smooth nylon lining, a high neck design for extra protection, and fleece wither padding so it is a great choice for horses with high withers.
Ultimate Waterproof Heavy Turnout Blankets
- SmartPak Ultimate WeatherShield Turnout Blanket – Rain, sleet, and snow meet their match with this blanket! Whether your horse always seems to find that one puddle or mud patch to roll in, or you want to give him top-of-the-line protection from the elements, 1050D nylon outer with Teflon™ coating provides maximum waterproofing and stays cleaner without compromising breathability. Seam-sealed gussets and tail flap lock out leaks to ensure your horse stays dry no matter the weather.
- Rambo® Optimo Bundle w/ Free Bag For Life – This heavy blanket is made from strong, durable turnout material and is designed to follow the horse’s movement. It features a 1000D ballistic nylon waterproof and breathable outer with an anti-static and antibacterial lining. The Rambo Optimo also comes with a 150g hood, 400g liner, and a Horseware Bag for Life.
Heavy Turnout Blankets with the Most Coverage
- SmartPak Classic Combo Neck Turnout Blanket – This blanket’s combo neck design gives your horse the maximum protection against inclement weather. It’s waterproof and breathable with 600D ripstop polyester outer.
- WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Ultra Cozi Detach-A-Neck Turnout Blanket II – The snuggest blanket yet! This blanket features a liner system that allows for versatility throughout the seasons, a WeatherBeeta Cozi guard for protection of the chest, removable and waterproof snug fit for warmth and protection of the horse's neck, and a memory foam wither relief pad that contours to the horse's shape and lifts the blanket off the wither to reduce rubbing and add comfort.
Best Stocky Fit Heavy Turnout Blankets
- SmartPak Deluxe Stocky Fit Turnout Blanket with Earth Friendly Fabric - This blanket features a unique cut that is specially designed to provide an ideal fit for Quarter Horses and other stock breeds with a broader shoulder and hindquarters, a cutback wither, and a shorter drop. Each blanket repurposes 315 water bottles as the eco-friendly 1200D ripstop RePET® exterior is made of recycled plastic.
- Big D Devlyn Heavy Turnout Blanket – This long-wearing turnout blanket is waterproof and breathable with 1200 Denier rip-stop exterior and 210 Denier taffeta show lining that reduces coat damage. Its tailored shoulder gussets are designed to fit the natural curve of the shoulder for stocky-built horses.
Most Durable Heavy Turnout Blankets
- SmartPak Ultimate Turnout Blanket – The blanket provides the ultimate armor for turnout and is a great choice for a horse that is tough on blankets. It’s constructed with heavy-duty 1050 denier nylon material that features a special weave that’s ultra-durable and resists rubs and tears. We’re so confident in the toughness and durability of the SmartPak Ultimate Turnout Blanket that it comes with a 10-year indestructible guarantee.
Video Review of the SmartPak Ultimate Turnout Blanket
- Rambo® Supreme 1680D Turnout Blanket w/ Free Bag For Life – This Horseware Ireland blanket features thermobonded fiberfill that offers superior heat retention to keep your horse toasty warm. It’s designed to be anti-static, antibacterial, and includes a shine-enhancing lining. A durable 1680 denier ballistic nylon outer makes this durable blanket ready for whatever winter throws its way.
Heavy Turnout Blankets with the Best Features
- SmartPak Deluxe ErgoTech High Neck Turnout Blanket – This blanket’s design is packed with innovative, ergonomic features for comfortable wear and freer movement. Its features include a rollback extended neck cover that can also be secured into the standard neck position, a wither relief channel to reduce pressure on sensitive areas, and a grazing gusset at the neck for unrestricted movement of the head and neck. Additionally, there are specially placed gussets to match the true movement of your horse’s leg swing, has an extended tail flap to protect from the elements, and is waterproof.
- Rhino® Plus HexStop Turnout Blanket w/ Vari-Layer – This turnout blanket’s neck design allows for more freedom of the neck for grazing. It’s dual leg arches create a secure fit, accompanied by three cross surcingles, reflective strips, and a detachable hood. The blanket has a vari-layer thermobonded fiberfill for more warmth without the extra weight.
Originally published October 22, 2013