Care and Cleaning
- Prevent dirt and hair build-up on the under side of pad by occasional brushing. This keep old hair from being pushed further into the pad and trapping dirt and sweat.
- To remove embedded hair and dirt, rub a dry 5 Star cleaning sponge (which arrives with the purchase of every 5 Star saddle pad) in a circular motion on a dry pad.
- For pads with heavy crusted sweat and dirt, break up area with rubber fingered curry or scrape gently with a dull edged object being careful to not cut the felt. Vacuum (with a shop vac) if possible, or use a brush to remove loose material.
Washing is only necessary if the pad is beginning to feel hard and form pressure points.
- Use a small amount of soap that is safe for fine wool
- Wash pad from the center to the outer edges. Hang/hold by gullet hole, runse from cetner of pad to outer edges, rotating the pad so that the water flows out towards the edges. Avoid laying the pad flat and rinsing as this will drive the dirt into the pad.
- Wash/rinse lightly, using only enough water to dissolve the sweat and dirt residue. Hang by gullet hole of lay over a rail to dry. Avoid laying flat to dry.
- Flex the pad once it is dry to restore the cushion.