Ask the Vet – Boots in turnout, coconut oil, PSSM, and more! – March 2020
You asked, we answered! In this episode of our monthly Ask the Vet video series, Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Dan answer 5 new questions on topics like whether or not your horse should wear boots in turnout, coconut oil for horses, when to start a young horse on joint supplements, best footing options for a horse’s paddock, the difference between PSSM Type 1 and Type 2, and so much more!
If your question was answered in this video, reach out to us at CustomerCare@SmartPak.com and let us know! We’ll get your gift card out to you as soon as we can! Have some of your own questions? Ask away using #AsktheVetVideo! If your question gets selected to be in one of our Ask the Vet videos, you win a SmartPak gift card! How awesome is that!?
Additional reading/watching material mentioned in the video:
Ask the Vet individual topics playlist
Ask the Vet blogs
Horse Health Library videos
Ask the Vet form
Ask the Vet – Do feed-thru joint supplements work?
Ask the Vet – When to start your horse on joint supplements
Ask the Vet – Most recommended joint supplements
Ask the Vet – Pros and cons of all day turnout
Ask the Vet – Pros and cons of nighttime turnout
Ask the Vet – Signs of “tying up” vs signs of colic
Michigan State University research article on PSSM Type 1
Ask the Vet – Sugary treat alternatives for horses
Ask the Vet – How to interpret hay analysis
Ask the Vet – Steaming vs soaking hay
Ask the Vet – All about grazing muzzles
Questions answered in this episode:
1. Boots during turn out, I see lots of people turning horses out with brush boots and splint boots. Does this help or hurt the horse in any way? I’ve heard some people say it will make the horse’s legs weaker because they rely on the boots for support. Is there any truth to this? Is there any circumstance where boots would be beneficial during turnout?
2. Is it safe to feed coconut oil? What are the benefits?
3. At what age is it ok to start a young horse on a joint supplement? My 3 yr old QH is just starting her riding training and was wondering if she should be on a joint supplement? 🐴
4. We are looking for footing options for our horse’s paddock. They are only in the paddock during nighttime. What are some of your suggestions for affordable paddock footing?
5. PSSM types 1 & 2. What’s the difference? How to manage in terms of diet, exercise and feeding, any supplements that help? Which is worse in terms of maintenance and quality of life for the horse?